Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A week of many lessons November 16, 2011

Dear Family,

First things first: HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fun facts of the week: House numbers in Illinois (or at least my current area) are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find in the dark. They are even difficult in the daytime. It's the weirdest thing. The numbers are all in really obscure places on the houses and really far away from any lights, so at night you can't see them at all generally. And many of them are spelled out in cursive, so even if you can FIND the number, it's hard to read. It's all very strange.

Mom - will you please tell Nancy that I just found out about a Sister in our mission who also has the name of Nancy! We can never seem to find young Nancy's except for her, so I thought she would like to know about the discovery.

Today we are going shopping with Sister Doll and the Naperville Sisters to get me some winter skirts. Sorry that the spending isn't over quite yet... Next winter should be a breeze though, right??

We met Deb B... yesterday (Art and Maureen's aunt/aunt-in-law) and she is AWESOME!!! Oh my gosh, it was so great meeting her! She said that I reminded her of Maureen, which is a huge compliment, because I LOVE Mo! I didn't ask her about jam though... It just didn't seem to fit... ;)

Sister Brown got really sick Friday night (it's really unfortunate that all of these different things just keep building up against her. It's really no fair. And not fun to sit by helpless) and Saturday we had to stay home all day. We barely got out the apartment on Sunday and have come back early the last two nights.

Oh! Don and Rose came to church on Sunday though!! Yay! They really liked it and we are so happy with how things are going. Now we just need nice weather on Saturday for the service project!

Anyway, because Sister Brown was sick and I cannot be away from her, we were stuck in the apartment all day long. I had a LOT of time to study... My Saturday consisted of being as quiet as possible so that Sister Brown could sleep (which she did most of the day, so I was pretty much by myself all day - it was weird) while studying, cleaning and exercising. And what kind of exercise do you do when you are cooped up in a tiny apartment all day? You go for a fifteen minute run around your living room. Most. Boring. Thing. EVER. Luckily it was nice outside so I opened up the balcony sliding glass door and at least got to look outside and feel a little closer to nature... I also had a lot of time to study, as mentioned earlier. I read a really great talk about becoming a consecrated missionary and I am working on making that a part of my everyday character now. I also began reading "Our Search for Happiness" by Elder Ballard and that is so great! If you haven't read it, you should. Also - Saturday morning we asked the ward mission leader to come over and give Sister Brown a blessing because she was not doing well at all. In the blessing he said that work in this area is ready to blossom and that Sister Brown and I are the key to making that happen. WOW.

Scripture of the week and the story about how I came to discover and love this verse: The other night we were going to the Worlton family's house for dinner. We weren't sure what lesson we wanted to share with them, so we were trying to figure that out. I kept trying to open my Book of Mormon and just see what scripture popped out at me. The third or so time that I did this, I decided to read aloud the scripture that caught my attention on that page. (why this one and not the other two? Because the Spirit was telling me not to read those ones and must have been telling me that this was the one) I read it and then Sister Brown said that that was weird that I chose that scripture because she had been kind of all over the place with her personal study, but that scripture had come up a few times. A number of strange coincidences? I think not. We chose to share with them Alma 38:5. As we shared it with the Worltons, Sister Worlton said, "Thank you for that Sisters. I think that was just for me." and then she shared a story about earlier that week when she had been hurrying around trying to get things done and couldn't find something she really needed. She and her youngest son decided to say a prayer and in it she basically said "I only have ten minutes to find this Father, please help me...", and they found it five minutes later. It was really cool to see how the Spirit had guided us to that scripture and that it helped reinforce to Sister Worlton that lesson that the Lord had been teaching her already that week. I LOVE these little miracles!

I love you all! Talk to you next week!
Sister Hatch

No comments:

Post a Comment